After much deliberation, here are Boss Wave’s favorite games of 2014. There’s not as much crossover as there was last year and there’s been plenty of confusion over non-2014 games somehow making the 2014 lists… but the result is a fun compilation of a lot of the best stuff we played over the past year. Make sure to tune into the companion episode #079 and, as always, we’d love to hear any thoughts you might have, so give us a shout!
Hey, remember that Top Games of 2013 list we had a show about all those moons ago? Oh yeah, well here it is in all its official written glory. 2013 was a hell of a year in gaming and will probably be remembered as the last banner year for two aging consoles giving way to their shiny new successors. Whether it was a big AAA title like The Last of Us or GTAV, a little indie like Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons or an artsy platformer like Rayman Legends, 2013 had something on offer for everyone. Continue Reading
Let’s get this out the way at the start: I’m a big Metal Gear Solid fan. As action stealth games go, I believe them to be the best of the genre. It’s easy to understand though, why people would be put off by the needlessly complex plots and excessive cutscenes that Hideo Kojima has been weaving around the series ever since the excellent 1998 original was released. They are, to all intents and purposes, gibberish to all but hardcore fans, but I for one adore the games in spite of them. Continue Reading
I haven’t played an Assassin’s Creed game since AC2 was released in 2009. While I enjoyed my time with that game, I hadn’t seen anything since that made me want to dip back into the series. When naval combat was introduced in AC3, I regained some interest, though not enough to warrant a purchase. When I heard ocean exploration was being refined and expanded in AC4 however, I felt that perhaps the time had come for me to jump back in. Continue Reading
With next gen officially upon us, we here at Boss Wave have taken a look back at the cream of the crop of the last generation. And what a generation it was, with no shortage of excellent, inspiring and outright transformative entries in the medium. Hard choices all around. Here are our lists. Let us know what you think. Continue Reading
- Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor is a AAA Lord of The Rings game on it’s way to PC and the respective varieties of Xbox’s and Playstations from Warner Brothers and developer Monolith. This one’s probably a ways off, but it will grace the cover of the upcoming Game Informer issue.
- Early reviewers have reported frame-rate issues in the PS4 version of Call of Duty: Ghosts. Infinity Ward is reportedly working on a patch.
Moving Pictures: Continue Reading
Ryse: Son of Rome is a launch title on Xbox One. Here’s some extended gameplay. It’s looking a bit simplistic, but very pretty of course. A quick and easy, brutal good time, or a just a brutal waste of one? Time shall tell us soon enough.
–Lococycle looks, well, loco. Here’s hoping this live action trailer is indicative of more of this in the final game.> Continue Reading
- Sony will be unveiling “previously unannounced titles” the night of the PS4’s release. GameTrailerTV will be hosting the event live at 11pm EST. Will there be surprise launch titles included? I’d wager yes; likely some lighter digital fare.
- The first pictures of the new Steam Machine (wasn’t it called SteamBox??) have surfaced. Take a look.
- Peggle 2 won’t be launching day-and-date with Xbox One as was previously thought, but is sure to have people grinning “only a few weeks later” sometime in December. (VG247)
Moving pictures: Continue Reading
- Interested in MMO Rift, but haven’t yet taken the plunge? Now might be the time, as it’s gone free-to-play on Steam.
- Trine 2: The Complete Story Edition will be making its way to PS4. Chris will be pleased.
- Apparently Infinity Ward has taken up aliens as their extraneous enemy of choice for Call of Duty: Ghosts‘ extinction mode to match Treyarch’s Black Ops zombies. I’m actually alright with this. You?
-Here’s the trailer: Continue Reading
- Ouya 2.0 will release sometime in 2014, with better performance and an improved controller. (Seth has very mixed feeling about this.)
- Boss Wave favorite Enslaved is out now on Steam in a new premium edition. If you haven’t played it, do yourself a favor. We loved it and featured it on our Underrated, Under-played, Under-appreciated list.
- Rayman Fiesta Run will release on iOS, Android and Windows on November 7th.
-Microsoft’s Xbox One launch campaign is underway. Continue Reading